Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Jaboneria Marianella

No saben que regalar, acuerdense de los jabones de Marianella....

Hot Scented Soap: Jabonería Marianella

I'm a one-man band," says Marianella Febres-Cordero, cutting bars of Technicolor-striped soap on her West Plano kitchen table. "It's just me."

The Venezuelan-born graphic designer and author (she's published five books in her native country) had been making soaps as a hobby since she was a teenager. Last August, she took a few bars to a friend's trunk show at Stanley Korshak, and went home with an order.

"The soaps all have a story," says Febres-Cordero. Coconut-scented Aura Elena is named for her mother. Pale yellow Dama de la Noche blends her son's favorite color and fondness for apple pie with the memory of a flower that blossomed on her terrace back in Venezuela. Success has come quickly to the kitchen table-company. Eleven varieties sold in 19 stores, mentions in W and Vogue, a new candle collection and body lotion on the way – all in under a year. But Febres-Cordero insists she's taking it slow. "I believe you have to go up the stairs one by one. If you go up by two, you're eventually going to fall," she says, wrapping each bar of soap in wax paper with X-Acto knife precision.

"And I'm almost 60. I've got to hold on to the railing."

Single bars from $12, Stanley Korshak, 115 Crescent Court, 214-871-3700, marianellasoap.com


1 comment:

Katiuska said...

I love these soaps even more now that I know they are the creation of a Venezuelan like myself... A great gift to a friend or for yourself!